Want a good reason to take the bus, ride your bike, catch a train, or walk? We have plenty! From saving money to saving the planet, these transportation options can help.
- Transportation is the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in Washington State, averaging around 50% for the last several years.
- Seventy percent of cancers caused by airborne pollutants come from diesel exhaust.
- At least 14 million pounds of toxic chemicals flow into Puget Sound every year including motor oil spill, drop, or runoff from paved-over areas.
- In Washington, driving accounts for almost 60% of air pollution.
- Each light rail train can carry 200 people in the space of 3 moving cars.
Be More Active
- One in three Washingtonians doesn’t get enough physical activity. .
- Walking and biking are good exercise and good for your health. They burn calories, build muscle tissue, strengthen the cardiovascular system and help control weight.
- People who take the bus or train are more likely to get their 30 minutes of recommended physical activity each day.
- 3.6 million americans 65 or older stay at home and are less mobile because they lack transportation options.
- Transportation is the second largest household expense, only behind housing.
- Households that live further away from transit spend more than 45% of their budget on housing and transportation costs than households that have transit access.
- The percentage of a family’s income that is spent on transportation is highest for the lowest income earners: 8.2% for high-income and 15.7% for low-income.
- The annual economic impact of car crashes in the US is $277 billlion.
Transportation Resources by County
Select a County
San Juan & Island
San Juan & Island (2)
Grays Harbor (1)
Walla Walla (1)
Pend Oreille (1)
Ways to Explore Washington State
You don’t need a car to explore the state! You can get from Seattle to the coast by taking public transportation. Here are some testimonials from people who’ve tried it and resources for you to start your own adventure.
News & Updates
Hoquiam Transit Center, 7th & J Street in historic Hoquiam, Washington. Photo by Tami Dragoo. This month’s headlining transit photo takes us to the Hoquiam Transit Center, located at 7th and J Street in Historic Hoquiam, Washington. The photo features a 2019...
It’s with a healthy mix of joy and sadness that we announce the departure of TCC’s Senior Operations Manager, Jaclyn Gault, after more than four years at the organization. Jaclyn’s impact will be felt for years to come — she has lived and breathed TCC’s strategic goal...
December 16, 2021 | 1:00 - 2:00 pm PST Join Transportation Choices Coalition for a preview of our legislative priorities for 2022. From institutionalizing equity to planning for affordable, sustainable, and healthy transportation, a better future #TakesTransportation!...
With the federal bipartisan infrastructure bill expected now signed into law, we have good reason to celebrate. Thank you to our Congressional delegation who fought to secure the critical funding needed to improve public transit, repair bridges, accelerate...
Come work with us Transportation Choices Coalition seeks an experienced Operations Manager to lead the internal operations of our organization. The Operations Manager works closely with the organization’s leadership team to develop and run internal policies, financial...
What a month for transit! On October 2, we welcomed three new light rail stations with the opening of Northgate’s Link extension — and this is only the beginning! In the next three years, Sound Transit will be opening 25 more light rail stations in cities...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEContact: Autumn Sharp, Communications ManagerPhone: 503-481-4622Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Yesterday’s Dreams are Today’s Transit Reality — Time to Celebrate! Sound Transit’s Northgate Link light rail expansion launches a...
Tuxes & TrainsAll Dressed Up with Places to Go!Oct 1, 2021 7:30pm4300 15th Ave NE Seattle, WA 98105$150 General Admission $75 Partner AdmissionCOVID-19 Precautions Tuxes and Trains will be a fully vaccinated event. Guests, staff, volunteers, and vendors will be...
The Transportation Choices Coalition team is proud to announce the 2021 inductees to our Transit Hall of Fame. This year’s pool represents the variety of perspectives, skills and interests needed to keep our transit systems running, and to advocate for profound and...
Did you miss the event? Check out the recording here!Transit Talk: A Celebration of Progress: Looking back as we welcome the golden age of light rail September 29, 2021 | 5:30 - 6:30 pm PST (online via Zoom) Are you counting down the days to ride Sound Transit’s...
Sign up for our newsletter and stay up to date on the latest transit, walking, and biking news in Washington State.