Transportation Choices Coalition is Washington's only non-profit bringing you MORE CHOICES – buses, trains, sidewalks, and bike lanes. Sign up and get involved!
2018 Legislative Agenda
2018 Legislative Priorities
As an even year, this legislative session will be a shorter 60-day session, which will begin on Monday, January 8th, and end on March 9th. In recent years, shorter sessions have frequently been followed by multiple special sessions for the legislature to conclude their work. Due to a change in party control in the Senate, it is widely expected that session will end on time without additional special sessions.
We are anticipating an intense and fast session. Our primary focus will be to ensure that funding commitments to transit, bike, and pedestrian investments are maintained, as well as preserving Sound Transit 3 voter-approved project scope and timeline.
Nonetheless, we will also continue to push bold transportation policies in the following areas:
Investing in Choices & Smart Design
- Defending the unprecedented multi-modal funding commitments we won in the 2015 transportation package.
- Support efforts that facilitate safe, cost-effective, and efficient delivery of transit service and that promote transportation choices for people taking all modes.
Advancing Innovative Policies
- Secure funding for the Commute Trip Innovation Pilot, a congestion relief program that will identify new strategies to reduce travel times, improve air quality, and optimize our transportation system.
- Explore the feasibility of more programs that improve transportation options for low-income residents.
Support Good Governance
- We support legislation that would require transit agency boards be proportionally representative of the service area types (urban, suburban, and rural) the agency serves.
- Oppose legislation that requires transit agency board members to be directly elected in primary or general elections.